Augmented reality (AR) is a live direct or indirect vision to a reality environment and have elements which are augmented by sensors input like sounds, graphics or similar to enhance the perception to reality. This new perception allow user to be interactive with all the information collected from surrounding real world.
This Research will highlight the use of Augmented Reality in Logistics which is defined as all right processes, Procedures and Resources for any complex Operation to be implemented in the most right way desired. So, since the logistics are very important in many sectors, it’s necessary to improve and enhance.
One of the important logistics sectors is Airports, passengers and luggage tracing and delivery, for many reasons this will be a revolutionary solution to smooth travel industry.
History and background of AR
Table (1) shows the history of the Augmented Reality
Augmented Reality Methodology
Figure (1) demonstrate the straight forward methodology of AR-STS
The idea of using Augmented Reality in Travel Industry is derived from DHL experience to use AR in goods delivery. Based on a study published by DHL themselves, AR could be the new future for the logistic Industry as it will be used for the following:
- AR could reduce the cost by enhancing Picking Process as AR will provide real-time object recognition as read the barcodes, indoor navigation and coordination with the warehouse management system.
- AR will help better warehouse redesign and planning which will reduce the cost.
- AR will optimize Transportation to enhance efficiency and security of fright transportation by using a combination between items barcodes and 3D sensors will determine the exact volume of the shipments.
- AR will help to determine if there is any damaged item during the shipment process.
- AR will ensure that all shipments are complying with any country regulations by using an AR documents scanner.
- AR could be used in the future to optimize route or Re-route any shipment.
- AR will provide vehicles with an application to display a real time data navigator.
- AR devices could be used to keep a data list regarding cargo list and the destination for each.
- AR could use Facial Recognition so clients don’t have to show the ID when the items are about to delivered.
- AR will be used to train staff to how to assemble and repair based on high standards of the services are maintained.
- AR through image recognition could be used to detect any problem during installation, for repair it could be used first as diagnose tool then suggest suitable and proper fixing method.
- DHL customers could Use AR as well by create QR code for each shipment and provide it to the customer to compare it with the received shipment in term of size, type or any different parameter.
AR Travel Suggested Theory (AR-STS)
As a projection of DHL future planning for using AR on travels Industry the Idea will start when each human-being will have a specific code to replace the Passports and it will be based on Eye-print , face recognition and Fingerprint…this code will have all data related to that person. If that person wishes to book a ticket or get a visa from any country then all the information will be saved under his code database.
The Main Idea to smooth travelling using AR is sending luggage time ahead for direct or indirect routes of travelling time; the traveler will send his entire luggage to airport terminal and the check-in front office will provide each piece with an electronically chip related with the traveler code.
Airport security check, customs officers and porters should have a head mounted device that can scan the code of luggage chip. This will help to check the contents of each piece for security reasons or for customs. Porters will load right luggage to the right Plan in the right time and once the luggage reaches its final destination it will be placed in a store in the airport under certain coded place and this code will be sent to the traveler. The traveler then will need only to check his eye-print, face recognition and Fingerprint for travel permits and pick up his luggage once he landed. An application should be integrated with the full Process. An assumption made in Figure (2) to fit with the theory
AR-STS Application Process
Figure (3) demonstrate AR-STS process
Figure (4) demonstrate AR-STS application flowchart
With Augmented Reality applications and their tools, all the above process will be tracked by person’s code and chip on luggage by the airport’s service employees or the organization responsible for providing such these services.